I LOVE eggs for breakfast and this is one of my favourite recipes. The combination of ingredients and flavours makes this a perfectly balanced breakfast! This is my go to recipe on the weekends or if I'm in need a mid morning snack; it is so simple and easy but delivers your body just what it needs to start the day. Protein from the eggs, healthy fats from the avocado, and fast digesting carbohydrates from the bread to give you instant energy. For those of you who are wondering about the chilli…. it is a great way to speed up your metabolism and digestion which just what you need in the morning. Also if you are scared of poaching eggs or don't have super fresh eggs then you can substitute with scrambled or fried. I do recommend that you get your poached egg game on point though as it’s the healthiest way to cook an egg! Remember to take them out while still soft as the egg will keep cooking for a minute or so once out. I like to place them on a kitchen towel and pat down so you don't end up with soggy bread.
- 1 x Avocado
- 1 x Tomato
- 1/2 a Lemon
- Dusting of Chilli Flakes (optional)
- 2 x Eggs (fresher the better)
- 2 x Slices of Smoked Salmon
- Tsp of White Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dash of Olive Oil
1.Boil water in a pan and add a tsp of white wine/apple cider vinegar and reduce heat to bring to a gentle boil. Make sure the water is not heavily boiling otherwise the eggs will break.
2. De-stone your avocado, remove flesh from the outer skin and place into a bowl. Using a fork mash up the avocado to texture of preference (I like mine quite lumpy). Next, grab your tomato and chop to desired size and add to bowl. Squeeze lemon into the bowl and continue to mix (add chilli flakes here if wanted).
2. Crack eggs into boiling water quickly but gently. Poach for roughly 3 minutes (DO NOT OVER COOK!).
3. Toast your bread. I like to use Sourdough or Rye.
4. When your bread is toasted, add a splash of Olive Oil (I use this instead of butter and if you can get a good quality cold pressed olive oil) and then spread your avocado and tomato mixture on top. (KEEP YOUR EYE ON THOSE EGGS!)
5. Next, add your slices of smoked salmon, poached eggs and compliment with salt and pepper and/or chilli if you like it spicy.