Being a northern lad, I love curries and have spent most Friday nights eating them! I have so many favourite variations of how I make them. Fresh pastes and toasted spices are always my starting point and I like the way you can just layer the flavours and build something really bold. Over the years though, I have adapted more of a Malaysian and Thai approach to them by integrating more fresh citrus and herbs and making them healthier. This one is my current favourite.
- 1 x tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 x tbsp Cumin
- 1 x tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 inch Fresh Turmeric roo peeled and sliced
- 2 inch piece of Ginger peeled and sliced
- 2 x Onion roughly chopped
- 2 x Chilli finely sliced (1 if you don't like too much spice)
- 2-4 cloves of Garlic finely sliced
- 10-12 dried Curry Leaves
- Bunch of Coriander finely chopped
- 2 x medium Sweet Potato peeled and chopped
- 1 x Red Pepper roughly chopped
- Handful of Cashew Nuts
- 800g Chicken Breast sliced
- 1 x Tin of Coconut Milk
- 1 x Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
- 350g Rice
- 2 x Limes
1.Firstly place your Cumin, Mustard seeds and Turmeric Powder in a large pan on a medium heat and toast for 5 minutes to release the flavour.
2. Now roughly chop your Onion and add to your toasted spices with your tbsp of Coconut Oil. Brown off the Onion while peeling and slicing your fresh Ginger and Turmeric Root. Slice your Chilli, Garlic and finely chop the stalks of your fresh Coriander and add these to the pan with your curry leaves.
3. Keep stirring and roughly chop your Red Pepper, Sweet Potatoes and your Chicken Breast and add these to the pan with the Cashew Nuts and mix well.
5. When your Chicken is completely cooked. Add your Tinned Tomatoes and Coconut Milk. Cover and simmer on a low/medium heat for approximately 45 minutes. 15 mins before is a good time to rinse your Rice and get your pan of water boiling.
6. Cook your Rice and serve the Chicken Curry on top with fresh Coriander Leaves a slice of Lime and some extra Chilli .