This is an awesome recipe and is really easy to make. It's great to keep some meals purely veggie and this is an easy way of utilising some simple ingredients. It can either be a meal on its own or a great side with fish or meat. There has been a lot of press lately regarding cutting down your meat intake and lowering your calories... This meal fits the bill for both! In this recipe I have used tinned tomatoes but feel free to use fresh and also play with the herbs and spices depending on your preference and the season. Serves 4 Sides
- 2 red onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 aubergines
- 2 courgettes
- 1 red or yellow peppers
- 1 tsp thyme or fresh
- 1 tsp oregano or fresh
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil oil
- 1 x 400 g tin of quality plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ a lemon ( juice & zest)
1. Prep your ingredients by peeling and cutting the onions into wedges, then peel and finely slice the garlic. Trim the aubergines and courgettes, deseed the peppers and chop into chunks.
2. Heat your coconut oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the chopped onions, aubergines, courgettes and peppers and fry for around 5-10 minutes until softened and slightly browned.
3. Add the garlic, oregano, chilli and thyme leaves and place in the oven for 20-30 minute minutes. Check and stir regularly..
4. Remove your pan from the oven and add your tinned tomatoes and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Put a lid on to cook again for 20 minutes.
5. Now your Ratatouille is ready grate some lemon zest over the top to enhance the flavour and serve.